1. Dam Name: Panhandle Road Dam
2. Estimate height of dam in feet 4 ft.
3. Dam Type:
a) earthfill dam ____
b) concrete arch dam ____
c) gravity dam ____
d) masonry dam ____
e) timber cribs ____
f) other, please explain: Concrete.
4. Location Description: Olentangy River south of Panhandle Road in Troy Township, Delaware County.
5. Year Constructed: 1941 (Removed September 2010)
6. Dam Owner:
a) public X half on State property
b) private X half on private property
c) abandoned: ____
7. Dam Function:
a) generate hydropower ____
b) irrigation ____
c) domestic water supply ____
d) navigation ____
e) flood control ____
f) recreation X
g) industrial water supply ____
h) unknown: ____
8. What repairs have been done to the dam? N/A
9. Reason(s) for Removal:
a) aesthetic enhancement:____
b) fish and wildlife habitat improvement: X
c) cost savings: ____
d) community revitalization: ____
e) public safety hazard: X
f) water quality improvement: X
g) recreational improvement:____
h) alternative to dam:____
Other) Mitigation X
10. Project Sponsor (who initiated project): Ohio Department of Transportaion
11. Dam Removal Funding Sources:
a) federal ____
b) state: X
c) local governmental agencies ____
d) other (please explain)____
12. Cost of Dam Removal: $91,360.00
13. List all Contractors by Name, include Address and Telephone #:
- Shaw & Holter 2625 Coonpath Rd. Lancaster Ohio (740) 653-1864.
14. Permits Required:
a) federal X
b) state ____
c) municipal ____
15. Dam Photographs:
a) before removal: X
b) during removal: X
c) after removal: X
16. Problems Encountered:
a) before removal: Water line behind dam.
b) during removal: None
c) after removal: None
17. Before Removal:
a) Estimated Reservoir Area in acres:________________________
b) Composition of river bed (e.g., sand, pebbles, boulders, bedrock):
Sand, gravel, cobbles and boulders.
c) Types of Fish caught in the river:
d) Water Quality
i) behind the dam Good: X Fair:____ Poor:______
ii) below the dam Good: X Fair:____ Poor:______
18. Were any studies of the river conducted before the dam was removed? Yes
If yes, who conducted the studies and who is the contact for obtaining them?
Yes: ODOT OES performed a mussel survey before the removal. Mussels were moved during the removal.
19. Have studies been conducted on the river after the dam was removed to
document changes in the river?
Ohio Department of Transportation will perform 5 years of stream monitoring. Reports will be turned into the Corps and Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.