To fully enjoy a safe and enjoyable outing at an Ohio State Park beach, observe the following SwimSafe! safety tips:
- Use good sense and keep a sharp eye on young children while they are in the water
- Lakes are not swimming pools, the water is murky and you may not see where it becomes deeper, so exercise caution
- Bring a cell phone to make an emergency call if necessary • Check before swimming that the phone works in that location
- Swim only in designated areas at the beach and lake
- Use the buddy system and designate one member of your party to remain on the beach to keep watch on others while they are swimming
- Enjoy the fun that water offers, but take regular breaks and relax on the beach
- Alcohol and swimming do not mix • Leave these beverages at home when you come to the beach
- It can't be said enough -- Keep an eye on the kids!
Ohio State Parks offer 59 beaches on 47 inland lakes across the state in addition to beaches on Lake Erie for summer fun • Last year visitation was 5.2 million at state park beaches • Remember, Ohio State Park beaches are free to use!