See what kid of spore prints you can make!
- Portabella mushroom with dark visible gills
- White sheet of paper (one per person)
- Glass or plastic bowl (one per mushroom)
- Can of hairspray
Make this activity fun by asking your parents to take you to the grocery store to pick out your portabella mushroom
- When you are ready to start, have your parent or guardian cut the mushroom stem off just below the cap, so it sits flat
- Place the mushroom cap side up (gill side down) on a white sheet of paper and cover the cap with a glass bowl
- Leave it covered and undisturbed for 24 hours • No peeking!
- When the time is up carefully remove the bowl and remove the mushroom cap from the paper • Ta Da! your first mushroom spore print
- Then spray the paper with a thin layer of hairspray, this will keep all the mushroom spores intact • For more fun, color them, frame them or just post them on the fridge