|One of Ohio's largest state parks, 4,870-acre East Fork offers a great diversity of recreational opportunities and natural history only 25 miles from Cincinnati • The park's terrain includes both rugged hills and open meadows, setting the stage for a wonderful getaway
- 388 electric sites
- 9 full-hookup sites
- Amenities include showers, flush toilets, drinking water, and boat ramp
- Pets are permitted in all areas
- Equestrian camp with 17 electric sites
- 2 Spacious Cedar Cabins with all the amenities of a fully-equipped RV are available for daily or weekly rental
- Pets are not permitted in the Getaway Rental units or area
- 32-mile Steven Newman Worldwalker Perimeter Trail circles the park and is available for hikers, backpackers, and equestrians
- 4 primitive campsites are located along these trails
- Permits for their use are available through the park office
- 4 hiking only trails
- Cedar Pond Loop • 1/2 Mile • Easy
- Prairie Trail • 3/4 Mile • Easy
- Whipporwill Trail • 1 Mile • Easy
- Fern Hill Trail • 2 Miles • Moderate
- 2 backpacking/hiking trails
- Lakeview Trail • 1 Mile • Easy
- Backpack Trail • 14 Miles • Moderate
- 4 bridle trails that also allow hiking
- Pin Oak Trail • 3 Miles • Easy
- Red Fox Bluff Trail • 3.5 Miles • Moderate
- Buckeye Trail • 8 Miles • Moderate
- Cascades Trail • 3 Miles • Moderate
- Twin Bridges Bridle Trail • 9 Miles • Moderate
- Mountain Bike Trail • 5 Miles • Moderate
- Portion of the Buckeye Trail passes through the park
- The lake offers quality fishing with excellent catches of largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegill, and crappie
- For the sport fisherman, East Fork is stocked with the Hybrid Striper
- Valid Ohio fishing license is required
- 8 Picnic areas with tables, grills and drinking water are located around the park.
- 2 picnic shelters are available
- The Turkey Ridge shelter is reservable online or by calling 866-644-6727
Winter Recreation (conditions permitting)
- Ice skating
- Ice fishing
- Cross country skiing
More To Do
- The campground features a mini-golf course, basketball and horseshoe courts, and playgrounds
- East Fork State Park is leased from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Louisville District at William H. Harsha Lake provides plenty of information to make your visit more enjoyable.
- Overlooking the Ohio River, the town of Point Pleasant is birthplace of President Ulysses S. Grant. The one-room cottage where the 18th President of the United States was born is located at U.S. 52 and S.R. 232 just south of East Fork
- Stonelick State Park is located to the north of East Fork at State Routes 727 and 133 • Camping, fishing, hiking and swimming are just a few of the activities available at Stonelick
- East Fork's close proximity to the city of Cincinnati makes it easy to combine the best of the outdoor life with the many activities available in the "Queen City." Major sporting events, fine dining, shopping, many cultural events and festivities invite the park's visitors to spend a day in this bustling urban area.
- For more information on area attractions, visit
Nature of the Area
Clermont County's rolling hills and meandering river valleys provide a colorful backdrop for spacious East Fork State Park. Shaped by the forces of the Illinoian and Wisconsinan glaciers, the East Fork region is characterized by beautiful hill country scenery and is noted for the occurrence of remnant prairie habitats. Illinoian glacial deposits are not common in Ohio but can be observed at East Fork and the surrounding area.
East Fork's diverse landscape includes dry-forested hills, rocky cascades, abandoned farmlands, thickly grown floodplains, marshy grasslands and swamp forests. This diversity lends well to an abundance of plant and animal life. Woodlands are composed of beech, sugar maple, red and white oak, shagbark hickory, and wild black cherry. The swamp forests contain silver maple, American elm, sycamore, and black gum. The meadows and remnant prairies contain big bluestem grass and purple coneflower among others.
Animals of the area include eastern plains garter snake, fence lizard, red fox, deer, raccoon, Canada geese, song sparrow, eastern meadowlark, and the barn swallow.
History of the Area
The Little Miami River basin in which East Fork State Park is situated has been home to many generations of man, dating back to nearly 3,000 years ago. Moundbuilders, the Adena and Hopewell Indians, occupied this area. The mound near Elklick Road is thought to have been built by the Adena. The Erie Indians also lived here much later, though by 1655 this nation was completely destroyed by the powerful Iroquois. The area was virtually uninhabited through the remainder of the 17th century.
As the new state of Ohio began to be settled in the early 19th century, the East Fork region attracted settlers from the east. Grist mills, sawmills, blacksmith shops, tanneries and stagecoach depots were among the early commercial activities.
In 1869, two gold mines operated in the vicinity. One mine was located near Elklick and consisted of a flume for washing gravel containing flakes of gold. The mine near Twin Bridges tunnelled underground to reach gold deposits encased in bedrock.
Not far from the present park office, the "Old Bethel Church" on Elklick Road dates from 1867. It occupies the site of a log church built about 1807 by Reverend John Collins. Some of the hand-hewn timbers secured with wooden pegs and hand-forged nails used to construct the 1818 church are still present in the existing church.
More recently, the area has taken on a new appearance due to the creation of East Fork Reservoir in 1978. As part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers flood control program, East Fork Lake and the surrounding region comprise one of southwestern Ohio's largest recreational areas.