The main function of the Horace R. Collins Laboratory (HRCL) is to preserve and provide public access to the collections housed at the facility. In cooperation with the U.S. Geological Survey’s National Geological and Geophysical Data Preservation Program, the Division of Geological Survey is currently working to complete inventories and generate databases for all collections housed at the HRCL. Metadata will be available to the public for all inventoried collections.
The HRCL core collection consists of nearly 900 boreholes—totaling over 300,000 feet—drilled in Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Division of Geological Survey Map MG-4, Core Locations in Ohio and Adjacent States, provides the reader with core location information, core numbers, and cored formations. The map is available for purchase at the Geologic Records Center (see ordering information). Core locations throughout Ohio are also available on the oil and gas interactive map.
The HRCL well sample collection consists of sample suites from over 3,100 wells, duplicate sample suites from over 1,100 wells, and well cutting sample and lithologic strip logs from over 1,700 bore holes.
Additional collections include:
- Aerial photographs flown from 1950 to 1979.
- Environmental impact statements.
- Geochemical records of data from brine, carbonate, and coal samples.
- Lithology strip logs for gas and gas well boreholes, cores, and measured sections.
- Myron T. Sturgeon Pennsylvanian hand sample collection from Ohio.
- Oil samples.
- Sand and gravel resource investigations.
- Seismogram tracings collected between 1905 and 1992.
- Side wall core and core plugs.
- Thin sections.
- Unconsolidated Cenozoic-age sediment samples.
- Unpublished manuscripts, field maps, and field notes.
All non-Division of Geological Survey personnel should review the appropriate Core-Use Policy and/or Oil-and-Gas Well Cutting-Use Policy, as well as the Compensation in Appreciation of Services, and then complete the Permission Form for use of laboratory and core, sample, and the collections repository. Access is given on a first-come, first-served basis unless special permission is given by the Division Chief. Prior to your scheduled visit, completed permission forms should be submitted to:
Gregory Schumacher, HRCL Facility Coordinator
ODNR Division of Geological Survey
H. R. Collins Laboratory
3307 South Old State Road
Delaware, OH 43015-7635