The following details of connections are for the 16-bit digitizer (A-to-D board). The connector block is the small green board with numbered terminals. The purpose of the connector board is to connect the seismometer cable with the A-to-D board, which should already be installed.
- Connect the National Instruments cable (the gray type 6868 cable) to the A-to-D board in the computer, and connect the other end into the connector block (screw terminal board).
- Note on the connector block that each connection has a number, locate terminal numbers 68, 67, and 34.
- Connect the seismometer ground wire (black) to terminal #67, connect the seismometer + Out wire to terminal #68 (usually white, refer to EAI manual for correct wire color). A short "jumper" wire must connect terminal #68 (the ground wire) to terminal #34.
- Important! Do not connect any of the other siesmometer wires to the connector block.
- Screw all wires in tightly
The seismometer voltage will now go into the A-to-D board.
Note: A multiple pin terminal block/strip (available at Radio Shack) is very useful for connecting the seismometer cable to the connector block. Click here to view the wiring diagram. This is especially useful when the seismometer lacation is distant from the computer location.
Last update March 11, 2003
Ohio Seismic Network http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/OhioSeis