LOCATION AND DESCRIPTION
This 15,181-acre area lies east of the Muskingum River 1/2 mile from Dresden and 4 1/2 miles north of Zanesville. State routes 208, 93 and 666 provide easy access to the many county and township roads that transect the area.
The topography includes gently rolling hills to steep hills along the Muskingum River. Approximately 40 percent of the area is reclaimed strip mine ground consisting of predominately grass cover; the remaining 60 percent consist of woodlands in various size classes and species composition. Portions of the area have been strip mined and not reclaimed, these areas have steep hills and caution should be used when walking in these areas.
HISTORY AND PURPOSE
This area purchased from Barrick Gold Mining Company in 1996 has seen many disturbances from agriculture, oil/gas exploration and strip mining that have formed the landscape found here today. Strip mining activities have had the most recent influence on the landscape resulting in large grassland areas not commonly found in the un-glaciated portion of Ohio. Active strip mining and oil and gas exploration may be an ongoing activity and could cause temporary closure to portions of the area.
Forest management of the area includes timber sales, firewood sales, release cutting and timber stand improvement. Grassland management includes prescribed fire, and chemical and mechanical vegetation control to slow succession and encourage warm season grass growth. Cooperative farming and planting of dove fields and food plots are also practiced on the area.
FISH AND WILDLIFE
The principle game species include white-tailed deer, wild turkey, gray and fox squirrel, mourning dove and cottontail rabbit. Bobwhite quail are also present although no open season occurs on this area. All furbearers common to the region are found on the area. Various species of waterfowl can be found using the ponds and wetlands for nesting and migration resting areas.
Ponds are interspersed throughout the area; they may contain largemouth bass, bluegill, and channel catfish. Many songbirds, small mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and insects also occur in the area with the diverse mixture of habitats.
HUNTING, TRAPPING AND FISHING
This area is most popular for white-tailed deer, wild turkey, cottontail rabbit, squirrel, and dove hunting. Deer, turkey, squirrel, and raccoon hunters will find the forested areas the preferred spots to pursue these animals. Rabbit hunters will find abundant opportunity in the grass/brush cover of the open reclaimed strip mined areas. Dove hunters will want to hunt the established dove fields, planted and manipulated specifically for dove hunting. Limited waterfowl hunting is available on the areas ponds and wetland during the fall migration. General trapping is permitted on the area; however, beaver trapping is restricted to a special drawing.
Limited fishing for largemouth bass, bluegill, and channel catfish is available in area ponds.
PUBLIC USE FACILITIES
Several parking lots are available and good access is provided by secondary roads throughout the area. An archery range is available to the public from sunrise to sunset for practice. Targets are set at distances of 10 to 40 yards, and 10 to 15 meters. An elevated platform is available at the facility located on Memory Road near the ODNR Nursery Office.
A dog training area for exercising and training dogs from May 1-August 31 is located adjacent to Churchill Road south of Salem Cemetery. A field trial area is located on the northern end of the area and is open to public hunting.
Further information may be obtained from the Area Manager, Woodbury Wildlife Area, 23371 SR 60 S., Warsaw, Ohio 43844, telephone (740) 824-3211; or the Wildlife District Four Office, 360 East State St., Athens, Ohio 43701, telephone (740) 589-9930.
TURN IN A POACHER
Ohio’s TIP (Turn In a Poacher) program helps to curtail poaching throughout the state. TIP is designed to involve the public in reporting wildlife violations. Citizens who observe wildlife violations should call the TIP toll-free hotline, 1-800-POACHER.
Return to list of southeast Ohio wildlife areas.