LOCATION AND DESCRIPTION
This 2,905-acre wildlife area is 3 miles east of Dexter City, traveling up County Road 2 to County Road 42 to gain access to the interior township roads. This area can be easily reached from Interstate 77 or from State Route 564 from Middleburg. Nearly 60 percent of Ales Run was strip mined prior to modern reclamation laws (pre 1972). The resulting terrain is rugged and includes miles of highwalls and many acres of spoil banks that have reverted to brushlands and small trees. The remaining 40 percent is undisturbed and is a mixture of woodland and brushland habitat. Within 5 miles of Ales Run is an additional 6,144 acres of the B&N Coal Inc. lands. A free permit is required to hunt B&N Coal, Inc. land.
HISTORY AND PURPOSE
B&N Coal, Inc. acquired the property during the 1950s and 1960s and coal mining was not completed until the 1970s. The coal was used primarily to fuel electric producing utility companies in Ohio. In October 1987 an agreement was executed between B&N Coal, Inc. and the ODNR Division of Wildlife which enabled the Division of Wildlife to conduct wildlife management activities and permit free hunting, fishing, and trapping. The ODNR Division of Wildlife acquired this property from B&N Coal, Inc. in May 2000 and named it Ales Run. Hunting is the major recreational use and popular secondary uses include berry picking, mushroom hunting, bird watching, photography, and hiking.
FISH AND WILDLIFE
White-tailed deer, gray squirrel, ruffed grouse, and wild turkey are the wildlife species most sought, with hunters showing interest in cottontail rabbits, fox squirrel, and waterfowl in the beaver created wetlands. Trapping is permitted for all legal species except beaver, which is permitted with a special permit issued by the Division of Wildlife.
HUNTING, TRAPPING, AND FISHING
Old fields and reverting strip mine spoil banks provide the most productive areas for deer and grouse. Gray and fox squirrels occupy the woodlands that have not been disturbed by mining. Wild turkeys are established on the area and beaver are present on many watersheds.
Hunters (especially night hunters) and other area users should be aware that there are miles of highwalls and other forms of generally rough terrain. No camping or ATVs are permitted on Ales Run. Vehicles are permitted on designated roads only. There are several oil wells located on Ales Run and users should be cautious near well sites. It is unlawful to sit, stand, or otherwise be in contact with oil well or gas production or transmission wells, pumps, tanks, pipes, or other related equipment. Boundaries of the wildlife area are marked with yellow paint and signs. Further information may be obtained from the Wildlife District Four Office, 360 East State Street, Athens, Ohio 45701-1895; telephone (740)589-9930.
TURN IN A POACHER
Ohio’s TIP, “Turn In a Poacher,” program is helping to curtail poaching throughout the state. TIP is designed to involve the public in reporting wildlife violations. Citizens who observe wildlife violations should call the TIP toll-free hotline, 1-800-POACHER.
Return to list of southeast Ohio wildlife areas.