TOP 5 VIEWING SITES
• Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, Ottawa County
• Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area, Wyandot County
• Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area, Sandusky County
• Killbuck Marsh Wildlife Area, Wayne & Holmes counties
• Spring Valley Wildlife Area, Greene & Warren counties
The willow flycatcher occurs throughout the state where wetlands and shrub-scrub habitats meet, but is most abundant in the northern half of the state. They nest at all 5 viewing sites listed above. The survey methodology and survey locations changed in 2011, thus the decrease in the number of birds per point in 2011 and 2012 is probably due to change in survey locations rather than a decrease in the number of willow flycatchers.
Survey details and historical data can be found in the Wetland Species Overview section of the 2008-2009 Wildlife Population Status and Hunting Forecast.
Additional information about the Breeding Bird Survey can be found at: www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bbs/.