BEST VIEWING & HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES
• Woodbury Wildlife Area, Coshocton County
• Salt Fork Wildlife Area, Guernsey County
• Grand River Wildlife Area, Trumbull County
• Crown City Wildlife Area, Lawrence and Gallia County
• Lake La Su An Wildlife Area, Williams County
This highly prized game bird is found in forested habitats in all of Ohio’s 88 counties. Highest densities occur in the heavily forested counties of the unglaciated portion of eastern Ohio. Recently reintroduced populations in western Ohio counties have been successful. Ohio’s statewide wild turkey population was estimated to be 230,000 turkeys in 2011. Reproductive success in 2010 was slightly higher (2.3 poults:hen) than the 2.0 poults:hen observed in 2009. However, the spring 2011 turkey harvest was 10% below 2010 due to the poor poult hatch in 2009 and extremely wet hunting conditions during the season.
Survey details and historical data can be found in the Forest Wildlife Overview section of the Wildlife Population Status and Hunting Forecast.