TOP 5 VIEWING SITES
• Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, Ottawa County
• Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area, Trumbull County
• Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area, Sandusky County
• Killbuck Marsh Wildlife Area, Wayne County
• Springville Marsh Natural Area, Wyandot County
The swamp sparrow occurs throughout the state in shrubby wetlands and sedge meadows. They nest at all 5 viewing sites listed above. The survey methodology and survey locations changed in 2011, thus the decrease in the number of birds per point in 2011 and 2012 is probably due to change in survey locations rather than a decrease in the number of swamp sparrows.
Survey details and historical data can be found in the Wetland Species Overview section of the Wildlife Population Status and Hunting Forecast.