TOP 5 VIEWING SITES
• Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, Ottawa County
• Mallard Club Marsh Wildlife Area, Lucas County
• Pipe Creek Wildlife Area, Erie County
• Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area, Sandusky County
• Ottawa NWR, Ottawa County
The snowy egret is a state endangered species and a recent addition to the nesting species in the western basin of Lake Erie where they have established a colony on West Sister Island. The colony on West Sister Island is the largest in the U.S. Great Lakes and has been stable in recent years at 10-15 pairs. Snowy egrets can be observed throughout the Lake Erie Marsh region from spring to fall.
Survey details and historical data can be found in the Wetland Species Overview section of the Wildlife Population Status and Hunting Forecast.