BEST VIEWING & HUNTING
• Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area, Trumbull County
• Lake LaSuAn Wildlife Area, Williams County
• Big Island Wildlife Area, Marion County
• Caesar Creek Lake Wildlife Area, Greene, Warren & Clinton counties
• Spring Valley Wildlife Area, Greene & Warren counties
This widely recognized furbearer occurs throughout the state and in all habitat types, with the majority being found in northwestern and central Ohio along rivers and streams bordering farmland habitats. The statewide population trend has generally remained stable over the past 10 years. Research and development of Best Management Practices has identified traps and trapping systems that allow for the safe, selective, and efficient capture of raccoons, while maintaining high animal welfare standards. High raccoon populations also have raised concern over the presence and continued spread of raccoon-strain rabies, particularly in northeastern Ohio.
Survey details and historical data can be found here.
Information on raccoon-strain rabies in Ohio can be found here.
Best Management Practices for trapping raccoons can be found here.