BEST VIEWING & HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES
• Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area, Trumbull County
• Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, Ottawa County
• Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area, Wyandot County
• Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area, Sandusky County
• Killbuck Marsh Wildlife Area, Wayne & Holmes counties
The mallard is the most recognized and harvested duck in Ohio. While there is moderate production within Ohio, most mallards are migratory through the state. Ohio mallards come primarily from the Great Lakes population and the Province of Ontario with a lesser amount from the mid-continent population of the prairies. Population estimates for 2012 (9.2 million) indicate a 15% increase throughout the breeding range from 2011, 40% above the long-term average (Source: Flyways.us). These numbers suggest harvest and viewing opportunities for 2012 may be higher than 2011.
Survey details and historical data can be found in the Wetland Species Overview section of the 2011-2012 Wildlife Population Status and Hunting Forecast.