BEST VIEWING & HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES
• Tri-Valley Wildlife Area, Muskingum County
• Dillon Wildlife Area, Licking & Muskingum counties
• Monroe Lake Wildlife Area, Monroe County
• Wellston Wildlife Area, Vinton County
• Crown City Wildlife Area, Gallia & Lawrence counties
This furbearer predominately occurs in forested and mixed forest/farmland areas, with the majority being found in the southeastern portion of Ohio. The statewide population trend has fluctuated greatly, but overall shows a declining trend. As such, viewing and harvest opportunities are below the long-term average. Research and development of Best Management Practices have identified traps and trapping systems that allow for the safe, selective, and efficient capture of gray foxes, while maintaining high animal welfare standards.
Survey details and historical data can be found here.
Best Management Practices for trapping gray foxes can be found here.