TOP 5 VIEWING SITES
• Magee Marsh Wildlife Area, Ottawa County
• Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area, Lucas County
• Pipe Creek Wildlife Area, Erie County
• Pickerel Creek Wildlife Area, Sandusky County
• Ottawa NWR, Ottawa County
The black-crowned night heron, a state-listed threatened species, once occurred in marshes and swamps throughout Ohio. The species has several small nesting colonies on the mainland near Grand Lake St. Mary’s, Cincinnati, Bucyrus, and Youngstown. The majority of night herons are found on West Sister Island NWR and Green Island in Lake Erie and Turning Point Island in Sandusky Bay. West Sister Island makes up the largest colony in the U.S. Great Lakes and has been steadily declining in size. Land management on the island has shown some promise with a stabilization of nesting pairs. The estimate for 2012 was 514 which is similar to the 507 nests counted in 2011.