BEST VIEWING & HUNTING OPPORTUNITIES
• Mosquito Creek Wildlife Area, Trumbull County
• Grand River Wildlife Area, Trumbull County
• Crown City Wildlife Area, Gallia County
• Lake LaSuAn Wildlife Area, Williams County
• Big Island Wildlife Area, Marion County
The American woodcock is a migratory gamebird that prefers early successional woodlands near open fields or forest clearings. This species is monitored by the North American Breeding Bird Survey and the National Singing-ground Survey. These surveys indicate long-term (1968-2012) declines across Ohio and the eastern United States though populations have remained relatively stable during the past 10 years. American woodcock in Ohio have a limited breeding population and most harvested birds are produced in the Upper Great Lakes region. Sportsmen can expect good local harvest opportunities especially in northeastern Ohio if they hunt during the peak of migration.
Survey details and historical data can be found in the Grassland Species Overview section of the 2012 Wildlife Population Status and Hunting Forecast.