Fred the Fish
Submitted by the Mahoning County Green Team
There are two activities surrounding Fred the Fish. Below are directions for examining items that may pollute Fred’s habitat. The activity gives students a visual representation of the effects of pollutants on water and fish habitat. After completing this activity, try this CD fish art project using old compact discs.
Large, clear container (like pretzel jar) or small fish tank
Sponge cut to shape of a fish
Fred the Fish script
- Table salt
- Paper dots
- Green juice/beverage
- Pancake syrup
- Yellow food coloring
- Warm soapy water
- Red food coloring
- Green food coloring
Optional Book: One Less Fish
- Put the fish-shaped sponge into the tank. Try to affix it so that it stays upright. This is Fred the Fish.
- Make an extra copy of the script to laminate.
- Cut the laminated copy into strips: one for the narrator, one for each part 1-9, and one for the narrator again.
- Either assign a narrator or take that role yourself.
- Give 9 students a part to read. Have them come up to Fred one at a time and read their parts. Then they should add the items mentioned in their parts. Just a little of each item will work.
- If you want to involve more students, one can read the part while the other adds the ingredient.
- Review with the students what just happened and what can be done to prevent it.
- If you would like to make a craft with Fred, try the CD Fish.
Return to Parents&Educators Menu