In this activity, use old compact discs that are no longer useful to create a colorful suncatcher or ornament.
- Trace and pre-cut lips, 2 top fins, 1 bottom fin, and 1 tail for each student from colorful construction paper using the pattern. You can also have the students cut out their own fins.
- Give each student one compact disc and have them arrange the lips, fins and tail so that they stick outside the cd. Glue these to the side of the cd with the writing on it.
- Cut a piece of yarn or string 3 to 4 feet long. Loop one end and knot it for hanging. Put a line of glue on the cd from the center hole to the top of the top fin and lay the yarn in the glue.
- Glue the second top fin over the first top fin to hide the yarn.
- Spread glue on the remaining areas of the cd and glue the second cd, writing side in, to the first cd.
- Glue a googly eye on each side of the fish.
- For the middle fin, fold a 5 by 6-inch piece of construction paper accordian-style. Push one end of the paper through the hole in the center of the cds and add a small drop of glue to secure.
- Let the fish dry and then hang!
Return to Parents&Educators Menu